Wednesday 1 August 2012

Trending in Design: #Neon

When I was at uni, I owned a pair of (deep breath) yellow, red and orange trimmed neon pink pointy flats (and exhale). They could only be described as a secret love child of this + this. I wore them with everything, and because it was art school, they barely registered a glance.

When I moved back to the Bahamas however, I got stares....accompanied by finger pointing and/or laughter. I didn't care though. I wore my "artsy fartsy" badge proudly and on a small island, ridicule came with the role.

I've since toned it way down, yet not only does my love of bright colour remain, but it is also now bang on trend. Neon my friends, is BACK.

Photo | Unknown

...And this isn't just an interiors fad - it's on fashion runways and can be uber chic, as documented by Luxe Report.

I think neon is best executed in small touches, for example a cushion, lamp, or single piece of furniture, in a neutral setting.

Photo | House & Home
Photo | SA Decor
Photo | Apartment Therapy
Photo | Architectural Digest
Photo | NY Times
Photo | Houzz

 If you want bold, an accent wall is the way to go. After all, it can be easily repainted at any time.

Photo | House Beautiful
Photo | Bungalow 5

I ended up chucking those shoes out a couple years ago in the midst of a de-cluttering rampage. And now of course, I want them back. What can I say, I'm a sucker for trends.

Photo | House & Home

2 comments:

  1. Oh that big fluffy duvet makes me want to dive right in. Definitely agree with you that it is nice in small touches.
    Enjoy the games this weekend (you big lucky)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it looks so comfy. Thanks, I'm ridiculously excited!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers